Deadline: 27 July, 2021
TWAS 2021 Seed Grant for New African Principal Investigators (SG-NAPI)
Applications for the TWAS 2021 Seed Grant for New African Principal Investigators (SG-NAPI) are open. The Seed Grant for New African Principal Investigators (SG-NAPI) was established in response to the needs of researchers in developing countries, particularly those attached to institutions that lack appropriate research facilities.
Under this scheme, grants can be awarded for research projects in Agriculture, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Engineering, Information Computer Technology, Mathematics, Medical Sciences and Physics to Principal Investigators in the African countries lagging in science and technology identified by TWAS, to enable them to purchase the research facilities they need to enhance their productivity.
Research Grants to research units amount to a maximum of USD $67,700.
- Applying Principal Investigators must be nationals of an eligible country, who holds a PhD and has good research experience. The grant should operate within a university or a research institution in one of the African countries lagging in science and technology. The PI must be 40 or under.
- The PI must have obtained their Ph.D. within the last 5 years in a country other than their home country.
- The PI must have returned to their home country (refer to list in the guidelines) within the last 36 months or will return home before the end of 2021.
- The PI must hold, be offered or be in the process of accepting a position at an academic and/or research institution (including international research centers) in their home country.
- The PI must be national of an eligible African country that is lagging in science and technology (refer to list in the giudelines).
- Applicant must at the time of application NOT have an active research grant with TWAS or OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship.
- Applications from women scientists and those working in Least Developed Countries are especially encouraged.
- The applicant must submit a strong Research Proposal, you may find further information on how to write a strong proposal by visiting AuthorAID.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Scientists the Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programme or the TWAS Visiting Expert programme may still apply for another programme.
Ensure that you have read and fully understood the guidelines. Applications must be submitted by July 27, 2021.