Deadline: 30 April, 2021
African-German Network of Excellence in Science (AGNES) 2021 Intra-Africa Mobility Grants for Junior Researchers
The African-German Network of Excellence in Science (AGNES) is pleased to announce their two funding programmes: AGNES-PAWS Intra-Africa Mobility Grants for Junior Female Researchers and the AGNES Intra-Africa Mobility Grant for Junior Researchers 2021.
These two grants are financed by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BBMF) and with support of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH). The two Mobility Grants aim to strengthen the scientific capacity and networking of young researchers in Africa through active co-operation of AGNES and potential AGNES members. It further supports the alumni of the AvH in their efforts towards mentoring high potential junior researchers, helping them to access international networks of scientific excellence.
- A maximum grant amount of EUR 2,300 and EUR 3,000 is earmarked for 1 and 2 months stays respectively.
AGNES 2021 Intra-Africa Mobility Grants for Junior Researchers
- Direct applications from junior researchers having published at least 1 article from their thesis work (in a non-predatory journal) will be considered for both AGNES Mobility Grant and AGNES-PAWS Mobility Grant.
- The applicant may be from any academic discipline but must be officially registered for Doctoral degree at a university/tertiary institute in sub-Sahara Africa, must be a national of a sub-Saharan African country, and must have already published at least one paper from his/her thesis work (in a non-predatory journal).
- Applicants must demonstrate clearly that their work is relevant towards development in sub-Saharan African countries and cannot be conducted in the home country.
- Only applicants with an identified scientific host and mutually agreed-upon proposal/work schedule will be considered for the grant.
Complete applications must include the following:
- A short research/project proposal (not more than 5 pages) from the junior scientist with a short outline of the proposed research activity and a work schedule for achieving the aims of the research at the host institution. The scientific host must agree in writing to the proposal and time schedule. On top of your proposal, indicate whether you are applying for the AGNES Mobility Grant or AGNEW-PAWS Mobility Grant.
- A standard CV of the applicant and official proof of registration for the postgraduate degree (only current Doctoral students are eligible).
- A copy of the official Academic transcripts of the applicant, reflecting the grades obtained in the undergraduate and any postgraduate study. Ensure to supply the official explanation of the grading system.
- A list of published articles in non-predatory journals (include an e-copy or screenshots of at least the Title/Author page)
- Travel costs (by land or economy class flight): supply two quotes for the journey (including return travel) between the applicant’s country of residence and the country of the host institute.
- Estimated cost of living (rent, meals, local transport, health insurance) at the host institute. It is expected that applicants themselves will conclude a valid health insurance for the research stay. Scientific hosts and host institutes are expected to assist applicants in finding affordable accommodation and to advise them on establishing subsistence estimates.
- Letter of invite from the scientific host:
- Confirming that a place to work will be available at the indicated period
- A binding declaration from the host institution requesting an amount of the research cost allowance. The amount of EUR 100 per month and EUR 200 per month, respectively, will be deduced from the total grant amount for Humanities & Social
- Sciences, and Natural & Life Sciences and Engineering Sciences, to cover bench fees.
All the required documents should be in PDF format (preferably). They must be labelled with your surname first. All file size should not be more than 8MB. Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com. The subject line should be “2021_AGNES/AGNES-PAWS Intra Africa mobility grant”