Deadline: 15 December 2020
Future Bora 2020 Economic Opportunities for vulnerable and under-served Kenyan youths
Future Bora aims to catalyze interventions that expand economic opportunities for the most vulnerable and under-served Kenyan youths i.e. orphans, persons with disabilities, single mothers, youths affected by conflict, street youths, youths from vulnerable and marginalized communities, between the age of 18 and 29 years.
By supporting interventions that are tailored to the local and highly specific needs of the most vulnerable youth, the initiative aims to reduce the obstacles that these youth face while seeking employment and income generation opportunities.
In Kenya, vulnerable and under-served youth population groups – such as orphans, youths from vulnerable and marginalized communities, persons with disabilities, youths affected by conflict, single mothers, and street youths- are even more adversely affected by the challenges of unemployment as they are unable to participate and benefit from mainstream employment interventions.
In addition to the challenges faced by most of the unemployed youth, these youth groups face obstacles that are unique to their environments. Some of these challenges include stigmatization and misconceptions, sole childcare responsibilities, lack of mentorship, and limited access to adaptive learning.
Future Bora is an initiative of the Government of Kenya under the Kenya Youth Employment and Opportunities Project (KYEOP). By supporting interventions that are tailored to the local and highly specific needs of the most vulnerable youth, the initiative aims to expand economic opportunities for the most vulnerable and under-served Kenyan youth.
The Future Bora Initiative is implemented by the Ministry of ICT, Innovation and Youth Affairs (MIIYA) and funded by the World Bank. Intellecap Advisory Services is the management firm for this initiative.
Future Bora 2020 Economic Opportunities for vulnerable and under-served Kenyan youths Benefits to winning organizations
Three organizations with the best interventions will be selected. Each winning organization will receive:
- Grant funding of KSH 40 million for each of the three winning organizations disbursed in tranches
- Advisory and mentoring support for scale and growth
- Opportunity to show your intervention and gain visibility
Future Bora 2020 Economic Opportunities for vulnerable and under-served Kenyan youths criteria:
- The organization must be registered in Kenya.
- All types of organizations (for-profit, not-for-profit), except state-owned enterprises and public institutions, are eligible to apply for the challenge.
- The organization should have been operational for at least three years as of 1st September 2020 (applicants will be required to submit audited financial statements for the last three years).
- The intervention/solution submitted by the organization must be unique and innovative in solving unemployment issues faced by the most vulnerable and under-served Kenyan youth.
- At least 80% of the beneficiaries of the proposed intervention should be between the age of 18 and 29 years.
Consortia are eligible to apply if the lead applicant fulfills all criteria and other partners fulfill at least 4 (out of 5) of the other criteria.
Follow the instructions below to ensure a successful submission:
- Review all the questions and prepare your responses in advance, before you start filling up the form. You can download a copy of the application form here.
- Please refer to the FAQ before submitting your application.
- All applications will be assessed using the pre-defined Assessment Methodology. You can download a copy of the assessment methodology here.
- For organizations that have multiple interventions, we recommend that you submit the application for the most promising intervention that is aligned with the objective of the Future Bora Initiative.
- Applicants can save their progress on the application form by clicking on the “Save” icon at the end and keeping a record of the generated link. Using this generated link, applicants can return to the in-progress application. Please note that the application must be submitted before the deadline.
- All questions marked with * are mandatory, please ensure you fill them before submitting the application.
- Each descriptive question has a word limit specified, please refer to it while responding.
- Please note that no edits can be made to the application once it has been submitted.
- The deadline for submission is 15 December 2020 5:00 PM EAT; however, we will suggest not waiting until the last day.